Saturday, October 1, 2011

On the Earth's radius, the beach, and balance

I hope you all enjoyed this lab as much as I did. We may or may not get an accurate measurement of the Earth's radius. However, either way, we had an opportunity to get to know each other better, which will no doubt help us work collaboratively and learn more from the class. 

On the way back to Pasadena one of you told me, "This will probably be the last time I go to the beach for the next 9 months." I really hope this isn't the case. One of the most important things I want you learn in this class, besides the virial theorem and radiative transfer, is how to introduce balance in your lives. Your success as scientists depends on it. 

If you feel like you can't get back to the beach sometime in the next month, please come talk to me or Jackie. We're both extremely busy, with teaching, our research, taking classes, etc. However, one of the reasons Jackie and I have made it to this point in our careers is that we have aspects of our lives that compete with astronomy for our time, and we often let those non-astronomy things win. We'd like to help you out if you need it.

Right now, I have a paper I need to write. However, my son's soccer game is competing for my time. This morning, soccer is going to win.

Here are some pics from Lab 1. I wish I took more. Let me know if you have any that you'd like to share.






No comments:

Post a Comment