- What is the relationship between telescope diameter and resolution?
- Celestial sphere: when will a star at a given RA and dec be visible in the sky?
- What are the equations of stellar structure, and the story of each one?
- Scaling relations (what they are and how to derive them): M-R, M-L, M-Teff
- Use scaling relations to derive the slope of the main sequence in the H-R diagram (log L vs -log Teff)
- Derive the slope of the white dwarf main sequence
- Equilibrium temperature of a planet as a function of semimajor axis and stellar properties
- Blackbodies! Flux, luminosity, Rayleigh-Jeans Law (kT >> h*nu), Wien's Law (kT << h*nu), peak wavelength (relationship between photon energy and temperature)
- Color and brightness of a star
- Virial theorem - what does it mean? apply it to:
- white dwarf (mass-radius)
- typical temperature in the Sun
- derivation of Kepler's 3rd law
- How do we find planets?
- Relationship between velocity amplitude of a Doppler signal and mass of planet, period of planet, mass of star
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Essential topics from the class to study for your exam: